Tuesday, November 30, 2010

I'M THANKFUL FOR THIS

Yup, it's Bloggerstock time again, and this month I was fortunate enough to be paired with Michael Venske over at React/Impact. At first I was worried that this was clearly NOT a match, because if you happen to read his blog, it's classy as shit. I mean, dude writes about the New York Film Festival and everything.

However, when he emailed me his post, the first thing he told me was that he "liked my disclaimer," which kind of got me excited because I thought he was coming on to me. Then I remembered that my blog actually has a parental guidance button.

Oh.

Then after exchanging emails, Michael admitted that he was writing my guest post while half in the bag. That is fucking amazing. I mean, we've all done it, but everyone that's seen me while in my natural state I'm sort of feeling less productive knows that I can barely string together a few coherent sentences, let alone write a full post. I think I just found a new blogoverse friend- or my partner in the greatest heist movie never made.

Anyway, here's his post. To read what I'm not thankful for this month, head over to Gabriel's joint, Playful Paradox.


INFO

Hey, I'm Michael, today's guest blogger from Walk | On | Red. If you're looking for your daily dose of That Ain't Kosher, you can find Nugs guest blogging on Gabriel's Playful Paradox. Also visit Walk | On | Red and see what Jennifer from Starving, Insatiable has to say!
Q:     So, what's this Bloggerstock nonsense all about anyway?
A:    Bloggerstock is a group of bloggers blogging on other bloggers' blogs with all the blog posts linked to one another creating a circle-jerk of bloggy proportions related to one topic.
November's Topic:
This time of year everyone is getting ready for Thanksgiving (in the USA), so a lot of people spend a lot of time thinking about what they ARE thankful for. This time we are turning the tables over! Tell us what you are NOT thankful for!
Before we get to my "unthankfuls," I have to say that I'm excited to be posting on That Ain't Kosher! Any blog that comes with a disclaimer is the tits in my book!

"UNTHANKFUL"

unthankful - 1. Not thankful; ungrateful. 2. Not drawing thanks; unwelcome.
What are you unthankful for?
When I think of the world and all the things to be unthankful for, a few things comes to mind easily: the rising cost of living, cops on a power trip, and farts in enclosed spaces. War, rush hour, and black licorice are a close second. And while I could write extensively on how unthankful I am to overhear my neighbors fornicating, I'm seriously struggling with how to write about what I'm NOT thankful for...

Wait! That's it!
Writer's block coupled with fear! I am NOT thankful for writer's block or fear!
For the past few months I've had an idea for a one-person show, but I can't get it onto the page. For the past few years I've had a story (see my Bloggerstock: Theme Song post) I've wanted to put into words, but I can't. It's possible that subconsciously I assume that if I write said one-person play and story that I'll be putting myself -- heart, soul, reputation, career -- on the line and I could fail.
Yikes! That's some scary stuff to realize!
In an effort to conquer my fear and deal with my writer's block, for five minutes I'm going to do some free-writing with my eyes closed. I'm not going to edit the content or censor myself. The following are just thoughts pushed from my fingers.
Five minutes on the clock. Timer's ready. Set. Write!
I need a fucking desk! There was a Bloggerstock post question a few months ago that asked about what was one your desk... I didn't participate because I don't have a desk. I have a laptop. I don't have a desk. If I had a desktop, I suppose I would need the desk, but I jus take my computer with me everywhere and... That's probably it. I don't have aa homebase to write at. I don't have my "comfort zone." Yeah, I need a desk. I'm moving. Moving in the middle of a middesota winter. I don't know if that registered, I'm gonna type it again: Minnesota winter. Yep. Technically I'm moving tomorrow I think. I need to drop off the remainder of my deposit and then I'll get the keys... I'm not looking forward to moving up four flights of stairs, but at least I'll be warm while I'm busing things in and out of my car up the stairs... I didn't really want to move, but it's one of those crappy grown-up decisions I had to make in an effort to save my home. So I'm leaving, renters are coming in. On the plus side, my new apartment will be right next to my favorite bar. Not that it really matters, but it's always nice to know a nightcap is just a few flights down. Pause. Pause. Pause. The important thing is to keep writighting and keep teh fingers moving. For afew beats there I stopped and let my fingers rest and my brain think. I suppose that's probably a mistake. I turned my screen off so i can't see what I'm writing, I wish I could, but that's probably wise that I can't. I'm kinda in love with editing as I write and it's a serious problem. Subconsciously -- THAT'S TIME!
Okay. I think I know what I need to do: write. every. day. Honestly, that's part of why I separated my acting blog from the-things-I-want-write-about blog -- so I could write about whatever I want and not worry about offending a potential client, director, etc.
Bloggerstock, thanks for helping me get to the root of what's been bothering me!

Michael Venske (Walk | On | Red) is a Minneapolis-based actor & educator whose career highlights include hugging Grammy-award winner Chuck Mangione and being paid. Michael has been blogging on and off for nearly ten years. Read other subjective thoughts at Walk | On | Red or his acting blog.

5 comments:

the Tsaritsa said...

I hate writer's block, it's the worst. Especially when you've got a deadline....

"M" said...

writer's block is the most frustrating thing, but I tend to do better with deadlines.

CkretsGalore said...

Fantastic post! Love it.

Christina Harper said...

Writer's block is evil. As is fear. Maybe we should hire a bounty hunter to take both of those bitches out. That would be nice.

Michael said...

Let's TOTALLY hire a bounty hunter to take out fear and writer's block...and after those two have been eliminated, we'll pay the bounty hunter in words of thanks.